Now you’re engaged and the wedding planning has commenced. Have you considered the appeal of destination weddings? It’s exciting thinking about exchanging vows in a unique and beautiful setting, whether it’s a mountain ski resort, a beach destination in the USA, Mexico or Caribbean, or an overseas trip to an exotic destination. There is a lot to think about and much planning involved but a few basic considerations are:
- It’s a once in a lifetime opportunity
- It’s often easier
- A destination wedding can be a more intimate gathering of family and friends, and if combined with the honeymoon and if done right, a destination wedding can cost no more and sometime less than a wedding at home
- It’s a great excuse to limit the guest list
As travel advisors we assist in providing destination and accommodation options and can recommend local wedding planners and resources around the globe that have intimate knowledge of the area and local wedding support services. We listen carefully to your dreams, plans, budget, needs and offer assistance, options and alternatives for organizing and coordinating travel arrangements for you, your wedding party and your guests. We are aware of amenities, discounts and services that you don’t find online and are aware of luxury resorts that provide accommodations, venues and wedding planning services as a complete package. We typically save you time, headaches and money. Contact us today, get started early planning that perfect destination that will provide a lifetime of memories!
Here are few additional destination planning tips to consider:
- Remember Your Bridal Party and consider keeping your bridal party small and intimate
- Keep the season and weather in mind- you don’t want to plan a wedding for the monsoon season or off-season when everything is closed.
- Let the destination dictate your wedding attire-dress appropriately
- Think ahead regarding the legal aspects of your destination wedding and get your marriage paperwork figured out ahead of time. Some countries require you to stay there for a certain amount of time before you can be legally wed there. Consider getting legally married in your hometown before leaving for the ceremony and save time, fees, paperwork and legalities in a different state or country. There are also religious and spiritual considerations to think about in foreign country. Do your homework on these important issues.
- Keep in mind your guests
- Make It easy
- Keep it intimate, don’t invite everyone you know
- Save the date, mail invitations and ask for return RSVP’s early.
- Suggest that they skip the gifts; their presence, time and expense to get there is gift enough
- As much as possible, do things as a group
- Arrange group rates for flights and rooms, transfers, rehearsal and special touches like a welcome note.
- Budget for the known and unknown. You don’t have to spend extra money on décor and many resorts include a coordinator in their wedding packages. But there are guest or other expenses that are involved with destination wedding budgeting.
- As with any wedding, vet vendors and suppliers carefully.
- Tell your bridal party about the destination before you ask them to stand by your side so that they can gracefully decline if finances are tight
- Choose a location that’s easy to get to.
- Don’t forget about tipping and gratuities!